30 SEPTEMBER or 1 OCTOBER
“The TEARS Sleepathon experience was the most fun, exciting and humbling experience I have ever had.” – Nicola McConnell
“While having breakfast with those that had spent the night in a kennel with a doggie companion, the overriding comments were; “Can I do it again? When is the next sleepathon? It was fantastic!” – Gillian Keelty
Would you be willing to put your empathy into practice at our TEARS Animal Rescue Spring Sleepathon on either 30 September or 1 October 2016? Just you and a rescue dog in a shelter kennel for one night.
Our aims are to:
1. Raise funds to channel into the lives of the most desperate dogs and cats in the southern peninsula, and
2. Carry out an act of solidarity with all those dogs who at this moment suffer illness, injury, neglect and violence, and who have found no relief yet.
So we invite you to sit beside one of our shelter dogs – one of our lucky ones – in solidarity with those not yet saved, and in order to provide the means for us to reach the unlucky ones; just for one night.
We found this saying that sums up our sleepathon beautifully:
“You don’t always need to walk in another’s shoes to know how they feel. Sometimes the best thing you could do is sit beside them.”
Each participant will be provided with documentation to raise sponsorship for each hour they spend in a kennel as well as some promotion material to get you going.
We’ll match people with our dogs and cats on each night, and of course there will be a few creature comforts thrown in (porta-bathrooms, a sponsored restaurant meal, and you’ll be able to bring along your own folding chairs, blankets, sleeping bags, etc.). It should be an amazing vibe!
New at Sleepathon Spring 2016:
At our last Sleepathon many of our participants asked if they could bring along family, friends or supporters to see where they’d be spending those important kennel hours. This time around we’ve gone one better: the TEARS Sleepathon Spring Fair.
TEARS Sleepathon Spring Fair
Imagine a warm spring night with just enough freshness in the evening to light crackling fires. Delicious aromas permeate the air as food stalls pop up in a field of spring daisies. There’s a flash of candyfloss pink as a juggler strolls by. Cold drinks, hot drinks, bunting the colour of ice-cream. You’ll be distracted by extraordinary merchandise on sale while faces bloom with painted flowers. Look out for our crafty magician as the strolling minstrel serenades excited children.
The TEARS Sleepathon Spring Fair will precede each night of the sleepathon from 18h00 to 21h00 which is when sleepathoners make their way to their kennels for the night.
A list of Frequently Asked Questions follows but if any of your questions have not been answered please email Tracy at email@example.com or Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d be happy to chat to you about the event.
1. How do overseas supporters sponsor me?
There are two ways that overseas supporters can sponsor your kennel stay. They can simply click on our donations page which allows them to pay via credit card with the quick and safe PayFast system.
Your sponsor could also do an electronic EFT payment using the swift code below:
Bank: Standard Bank
Branch: Fish Hoek
Branch Code: 036 009
Account Name: TEARS
Account Number: 07 389 061 8
SWIFT Code: SBZAZAJJ
If you’re still battling, please email us and we will help you through the process:
2. Do I need to find 10 people to sponsor R200 for each hour?
As long as you raise the full R2000, it doesn’t matter how many people sponsor you or how much they are able to give. Every cent helps. Certain sponsors will donate R10 while others contribute R1000; just as long as all your hour slots are filled, our dogs and cats are happy!
3.What reference should supporters use when they sponsor me?
For electronic transfers, please ask your sponsors to use the unique reference that you received in your email from us. If you have sponsors who haven’t used this reference, please don’t worry. Simply bring along your proof of payment slips, attached to your fundraising form, and we’ll match them up.
4.How do I enter sponsors on my form?
Simply write each sponsor’s name on the form along with their contact details. It doesn’t matter which hour slot a sponsor fills; remembering that certain sponsors will fill more than one slot based on the value of their donation.
PAYING MY MONEY
5. When does all my sponsorship money need to be in by?
All sponsorship money needs to be collected by the time you arrive on your night. If your sponsors have given you cash, you can pay this into TEARS’ account. All your proof of payment slips can be attached to your fundraising form which you’ll bring along on your night.
6. Can I bring my cash sponsorships with me on the night?
We think it would be safer if you transferred your cash sponsorships to our bank account via EFT then attached your proof of transfer to your fundraising form which you will bring with you on your night. If you can’t avoid bringing along cash sponsorships on the night, we will make arrangement for this.
7.How do I transfer my sponsorships to TEARS?
There are three ways to make sure all your sponsorships make it through to our account:
1. Cash – simply collect all the cash from your sponsors and deposit it directly into our account or do an EFT. Remember to attach your proof of deposit to your fundraising form which you will bring along with you on the night.
2. PayFast – this is instant and secure. You or your sponsor can simply click on our donations page and follow the prompts. You will not be able to include a payment reference but we will match these payments up with your fundraising form after the event.
3. PayPal – Perfect for international donors! You can click directly on the link below or from the one on our donate page.
4. EFT – Our banking details are:
Bank: Standard Bank
Branch: Fish Hoek
Branch Code: 036 009
Account Name: TEARS
Account Number: 07 389 061 8
Please remember to use the your unique reference when making payments:
MY NIGHT IN THE KENNELS
8.How will kennels be allocated to sleepathoners?
Our TEARS behaviourist and kennel staff will make this important decision. So, for instance, families with children will be placed with our most calm, gentle and smaller dogs. Families and groups will be in larger enclosures, and couples or friends in double kennels. Our solo sleepathoners will be in single kennels. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to tell you beforehand which dog or cat you will be with, but we can guarantee that every single one of our cats and pooches is full of love and you’ll be smitten.
9. How much time am I required to spend in the kennel?
You will need to spend the entire 10 hours in the kennel – except for toilet breaks of course! Time flies when you’re having fun, so our kennel staff who spends loads of time in kennels, assure us that you’ll be sad to leave in the end.
10. Can I spend my sleepathon with cats instead of dogs?
Absolutely! We have a lovely cat facility further up the road and they would love the interaction and attention. Please let us know if you would prefer to be with the cats or if you have any friends who are interested. You’ll need to hurry because places are limited.
11. Are people allowed to visit or support me during the night?
Your family and friends are welcome to join you at the Spring Fair and share in the fun. However, once it’s lights out, we request that your guests go home and nobody else enters the premises after that.
- We will be closing our gates at 21:00 and will have armed guards posted throughout the night to make sure that our sleepathoners are safe and relaxed throughout their sleepathon experience.
- Visitors in and out all night would cause a great deal of disruption to our dogs as well as other sleepathoners. Our kennels are quite dark at night, and our main block is fronted by a narrow walkway would could lead to congestion or accidents if too many people arrive to visit or support sleepathoners.
We are hoping that to experience for one night what our dogs and cats live through night after night, will prove to be a truly meaningful experience so we would urge you – in order to keep the experience as authentic as possible – to use tools like Whatsapp and social media to interact with, and get support from; friends, family and sponsors during the night.
WHAT MUST I BRING?
12.Items you can bring along:
Only you will know what items are likely to make your night as comfortable as possible, but we’ve put together a list of suggestions to get you started:
- Camping roll/mattress (see details below)
- Sleeping bag
- Folding chair
- Warm and comfy clothes
- Head lamp / reading light / torch
- Book / magazines
- Insect repellent
- Flask (hot beverage) and water – we supply hot drinks and breakfast muffins in the morning
- Snack – although we have a delicious meal dinner and breakfast snacks lined up for you
- Toothbrush and toothpaste (unused airplane refreshment pouches would do the trick)
- Lip balm and tissues
You’re also welcome to bring along doggie and kitty treats for your kennel mates, and they’re always partial to toys and blankets.
13.Can I bring a mattress to sleep on?
Please think ‘camping’ rather than ‘bedroom’ when deciding what to bring along to make your night more comfortable. A camping mattress, stretcher bed, chair, etc. will fit into our kennels as long as it isn’t wider than single bed size. Also please keep in mind that you will need to carry your equipment from your car to our shuttle that will bring you to TEARS’ headquarters, then from the shuttle to your kennel, so make carrying as easy as possible.
IS IT SAFE?
There will be secure parking made available for your vehicles, and there will also be guards on duty the entire night at the main gate. You can sleep and give cuddles with zero anxiety!
HOW DO I SPREAD THE WORD?
Please bring your cell phones along (although they will need to be on silent/vibrate mode once you’re in your kennel). We would love you to take videos and photographs of your experience and your gorgeous kennel companion – feline or canine that is! You will have access to free WiFi on the night so you can upload to social media in real-time. We will also have a special Sleepathoner page created on our website which will enable you to share your favourite sleepathon moments.
You can begin to share the love now right now – simply use this tag whenever you mention the Sleepathon on social media: #TEARSsleepathon
What are you waiting for?